Halland is a small village situated at the crossroad of the A22 (Eastbourne to London) and the B2192 (Heathfield to Lewes) about 6 miles north east of Lewes; it gets its name from Richard ate Halle who had property in the area in the 14th century. Halland had long associations with the Pelham family who built a moated manor house at Halland Place in 1595 and lived there until they moved to Stanmer Park (near Brighton) in 1768; their badge of the "Pelham Buckle" can still be seen in a number of churches and other buildings throughout the area - at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356 Sir John Pelham and Sir Roger de la Warr captured John II, King of France, as a reward Sir John was given the French King`s sword belt buckle - Halland Place was demolished and the building materials re-cycled. Halland had close ties with the Sussex iron industry that flourished in the 16th and 17th centuries, being close to the furnaces at Heathfield and Waldron and the charcoal workings at Blackboys. The village was a stopping point for the oxen teams that were used to haul the finished cannon and other products to Lewes. To the south of the village is a stretch of downland called "Terrible Down", there are two tales about how it got it`s name, the first is that Alfred the Great defeated the Vikings with "great slaughter" on the downs; the second is that the it was here that the remnants of Henry III`s army made a last stand against the pursuing forces of Simon de Montfont after the Battle of Lewes in May 1264 and were massacred.
Places to Stay near Halland
Halland Forge Hotel (0.30 miles)
East Sussex National Golf Resort & Spa (1.71 miles)
The Roebuck Inn (2.01 miles)
The Roebuck Inn is family run and has a homecooked, locally sourced menu. Each room has ensuite facilities : Individual key card room entry system : Tea and Coffee facilities ... More