The Swallow Falls (or Rhaeadr Ewynnol) is waterfall near Betws-y-Coed
, in Conwy. The falls are along the Afon Llugwy, just two miles west of Betws-y-Coed along the A5 trunk road to Capel Curig, in the beautiful Gwydir Forest. The Swallow Falls have become well-known over the past 100 years having appeared on numerous postcards as well as in paintings and on film. The main viewpoints are found along the south bank of the River Llugwy. These enjoy the convenience of plentiful parking along the A5 road and within the car park of the nearby hotel
. Those approaching on foot from the northern bank are rewarded for their efforts with a far more dramatic view of the falls.
The Swallow Falls site was gifted to the Betws-y-Coed council by the second Lord Ancaster in 1913. The council had recently incurred a debt of £15,000 to pay for the installation of water and electricity supplies to the village and it was hoped that charging to view the waterfall could generate revenue to help pay off the debt. The plan worked and the debt was cleared. Today there is no charge and the falls are one of the most-visited beauty spots in Snowdonia
More British Natural features?
Other North Wales Naturals
The River Dee