Attraction in Forres
Set in parkland, Brodie Castle is old but the family association with the area is even older. The Brodies were first endowed with their lands by Malcolm IV in 1160 and a Thane of Brodie is recorded in the reign of Alexander III. The castle was damaged in 1645 during the Montrose campaigns. The oldest part is 16th century 'Z' plan, with additions made in the 17th and 19th centuries.
The house contains fine French furniture, English, Continental and Chinese porcelain, and a major collection of paintings ranging from 17th century Dutch to 18th and early 19th century English watercolours and Scottish Colourists. The house and its collections demonstrate an impressive continuity which bears witness to Brodie's long history. Woodland walks have been laid out in the surrounding policies, including one by the edge of a 1.6 ha pond with access to wildlife observation hides. Wild shrubbery, particularly fine daffodil collection.
Gift Shop: Yes
More Attractions nearby
This page viewed on 5,294 occasions since Oct 16th 2005