Attraction in Whitehaven
Coal mining in Whitehaven dates back to the thirteenth century when the monks from St Bees Abbey supervised the opening of coal mines at Arrowthwaite. This long history ended abruptly in March 1986 when Haig Pit, Cumbria's last deep coal mine, finally closed.
During this time, the gassy nature of the mines had caused many violent explosions. Over 1200 men, women, and children have been killed in the Whitehaven pits while winning coal in workings up to four miles out beneath the Solway Firth.
The winding engine house has been undergoing restoration since early 1994 by a group of local volunteers.
Please check the Visitor Information page or phone the museum for opening times and details on days when the steam winding engine will be operating.
Months Open: All year, daily. Closed 25,26 Dec and 1 Jan.
Groups/Parties Welcome: Yes - Please pre-book
Admission Price: Free
More Attractions nearby
Whitehaven Marine Adventures (0.07 miles)
Rum Story (0.19 miles)
The Beacon (0.35 miles)
St Bees Beach (3.86 miles)
Lowes Court Gallery and Egremont Tourist Information (5.21 miles)
This page viewed on 3,306 occasions since Oct 16th 2005
On this day: