B and Bs in Shorwell
NorthCourt is very much a family home and will be best appreciated by those who enjoy a peaceful country atmosphere in a historic setting.
NorthCourt was built in 1615 by the deputy Governor of the Island, Sir John Leigh. It represents the largest manor house on the Island, having been extended by Lord Burgh in 1905 with the addition of a music room. There is full central heating and in winter, a welcoming log fire.
Accommodation is in a choice of grand but comfortable en-suite bedrooms. One of the rooms is Lady Gordon's panelled suite, including a sitting room with a highly decorative plaster ceiling from around 1750 and an Adam period carved fireplace. All rooms are tastefully decorated and furnished, and have views out over the fine grounds.
Visitors are encouraged to wander around the extensive gardens and to use the grass tennis court, below which the Shor Well bubbles into a crystal clear stream.
The private gardens stretch from the stream to the terraced walks and contain many exotic and unusual plants, benefitting from the mild winters and hot, dry summers. There are also distant views of the Downs and the sea.
Special Diets Catered For
Tea/Coffee Making Facilities
Building of Historic Interest
TV in Rooms
This page viewed on 8,528 occasions since Oct 16th 2005
On this day: